West Willow UMC
Friday, December 06, 2019
Living the Love of Jesus!

History

Originally organized in 1907 as a United Brethren Church, West Willow United Methodist Church has changed and evolved along with the community it serves.  A membership of 38 people built the original church building, doing most of the construction themselves.  The foundation blocks for both the church and the parsonage (built in 1912 and still sturdy today) were hand poured by the members of the congregation.

By 1925, the congregation had quadrupled in size and the first of several building programs was begun, culminating in an annex to house the growing church school.  In 1952, the now West Willow Evangelical United Brethren Church felt the pinch of a small sanctuary and a growing congregation.  A building fund was begun which resulted in the present sanctuary being erected in 1960.  Due to a tradition of strong support for the church and a growing membership, the mortgage for that building was burned just 10 years later.  In 1973, additional land was purchased with an eye toward future expansion and in 1984 a new educational wing was dedicated.

However, the history of West Willow is more than just a story of mortar and bricks. It is the story of people with a vision and and engaged in mission to the community.  Over the years West Willow has engaged the community through these and other ministries:  nursery school, after school Christian Education, sports ministry, ACTS Summer Camp, VBS, Senior Moments, Reach, LUMINA, Parish Nurse, Scouting (for boys and girls), Prayer Shawl Ministry among others. Our Mission is to live the love of Jesus Christ, for 100 years, the congregation of West Willow Church has done just that.  As a fellowship of believers, "these people called Methodists" are taking seriously the claim of John Wesley (Methodism's founder) that the world is our parish.